slow cooker creamy tortellini soup
with Italian sausage and spinach
– by Cari Garrison
– adapted from cafe delites .
I have to admit I had my doubts. No need for that …#SCORE! It’s delicious, healthy and easy. This tasty comfort food is permanently in our recipe collection. It was perfect for cooler weather. Oh who am I kidding, I’ll make this one any time.
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 carrots , chopped
- 2 celery stalks , chopped
- 4 cloves smashed roasted garlic/garlic paste (or finely minced raw garlic)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon beef Better Than Bouillon base (can use regular bouillon cubes)
- Salt, about 1/2 tsp)
- Fresh cracked black pepper (about 1/4 tsp)
- 4 cups broth (beef, chicken or vegetable; I use my frozen homemade chicken stock)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water aka a slurry
- 3 cans evaporated milk (or 36 ounces of cream/half and half)
- 1 package three cheese tortellini (we use Buitoni® fresh); if using dried, add same time as vegetables)
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- About 1 cup milk; to desired consistency
Place the browned sausage along with onion, carrots, celery, garlic, Italian seasoning, beef flavored Better Than Bouillon, salt, pepper and broth or stock in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low gor 7 hours. We went by when carrots are tender.
Uncover, if any fat is on soup skim off with spoon. Add the cornstarch mixture (aka slurry or thickener), stir in the evaporated milk (or cream).
Cover again and cook on HIGH for a further 30 – 40 minutes until the soup has thickened and flavors blended well.
Add in the fresh tortellini and spinach, pressing spinach down into soup. Cover again and cook further 8-10 minutes or until tortellini is done and the spinach has wilted.
Add milk, 1/2 at a time, tasting and adding the rest to desired consistency and thickness. Tasting again to see if it needs more salt or pepper.
here we go…. photos 😀
You must be logged in to post a comment.